Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Talking Point #5

Quotes

After my webquest I found an article from Oakland were the youth spoke out because the city council wanted to put a curfew on the youth. I found it interesting because the problem or topic of discussion was focusing on a decision for the youth. I also found it interesting because not to long ago I remember the city Central Falls was also putting the youth on a curfew. I was still in high school at the time and I remembered kids trying to petition but they never got heard.

In this article there was actually a few youth members who went up and spoke to the committee. A senior in high school by the name of Giovanni Gaines said, "Speaking in front of the city council for the first time was difficult. As a senior in high school and not familiar with public speaking, I thought I was going to choke on my words. I believe the part that made me nervous was the people there, the cameras, and the spotlight." If you let just one kid speak out and be heard it truly sends a message to all youth in the community. 

If a decision was being made that effected you most people would like to have a say or voice. No decision should be made without both sides being present.
image

http://oaklandlocal.com/2013/11/youth-speak-out-against-proposed-curfews-community-voices-change-author/


1 comment:

  1. I agree if we just let youth speak their opinion we may just learn something. Maybe even a solution to the issue at hand.

    ReplyDelete